SC takes note of Ayodhya case lawyer receiving threat messages

New Delhi, September 12

The Supreme Court on Thursday took note of the submission of a lawyer, representing Muslim parties in the Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid land dispute case, that he had been receiving threat messages for appearing in the matter.

“This has to be deprecated. This is something which should not be happening,” a five-judge Constitution bench headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi said.

The moment the bench assembled to commence hearing in the decades-old politically-sensitive case on its 22nd day, senior lawyer Rajeev Dhavan, appearing for the Sunni Waqf Board and others, alleged that he had received a threat message on Facebook and on Wednesday his clerk was assaulted by a few people on the apex court premises.

“This is not the right atmosphere conducive for hearing,” Dhavan said, adding that these things should not happen in the court and “one word from your Lordship” would be enough on this.

The bench, which also comprised Justices SA Bobde, DY Chandrachud, Ashok Bhushan and SA Nazeer, then proceeded with the hearing in the case. PTI

RELATED Musical note