Tribune News Service
Ludhiana, April 19
The city police have busted a gang of robbers, which has been looting households on the pretext of giving them an invitation for marriage. Six robbers were arrested and looted valuables worth lakhs recovered from them.
The suspects have been identified as Bhupinder Singh (39) of Model Town, Gurbhej Singh Billa (27) of Manohar Nagar, Deepak Sharma (36) of Dhuri Lines, Jodha Singh (29) of Shimlapuri, Maninder Singh Mani (29) of Dashmesh Nagar, and Deepal Kapoor Bablu of Muradpura Mohalla.
The police recovered one Maruti Zen car, six Activa scooters, four tola gold, Rs 20,000 in cash, one LED, four motorcycles, sharp weapons and 10 fake number plates from the gang.
This was stated by Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police (ADCP) – 2, Jaskiranjit Singh Teja, ACP Jashandeep Singh and the SHO Sadar, Sukhdev Singh, during a press conference here today.
Giving more information about modus operandi of the gang ADCP Teja said, “This gang had devised a unique way of looting residents. They initially used to do recce of the area. Once the gang finalised its target, they bought a box of sweets from a sweetmeat shop. Initially, two members used to go the house on target. After knocking at the door, when someone came out and enquired, gang members used to say that they wanted to give an invitation for marriage or any other function. Once family members started enquiring about the relative, who had sent marriage invitation, the gang caught hold of all those present in the house and looted cash, gold or anything valuable.”
The gang mostly targeted those houses where elders or children were present, the ADCP added.
Melted gold to prevent identification
“After looting gold, gang members melted it to bring in one form. Some expert or jeweller might be helping them. If name of any jeweller comes to fore during investigation, he will also face action. The gang was mainly using stolen motorcycles in the crime,” said Jaskiranjit Singh Teja, ADCP-2.
Robberies committed by gang
- On February 12, the gang entered a house under the jurisdiction of police station No. 6 and looted gold ornaments from woman.
- On January 1, the gang entered a house in Salem Tabri and looted gold ornaments.
- On July 25, 2018, an auto-rickshaw passenger was looted of Rs 20,000 by the gang.
- On February 25, Activa-borne woman lost her gold chain to gang members.
- Committed burglary at RK Money Changer in Ghumar Mandi.
- The gang also tried to rob women in Muradpura Mohalla, Daba, and Basant City.
- The gang stole motorcycles from Sarabha Nagar, Atam Nagar, Model Town, Leisure valley, Kips Market and Ghumar Mandi.